FIFA 23 takes the world’s most popular sports video game franchise to new heights, with cutting-edge hypermotion gameplay, expanded women’s club teams, and immersive online experiences. However, some players encounter frustrating errors that prevent launching the game. Two common issues are the unrecoverable error and secure boot violation messages.
If FIFA 23 abruptly crashes or won’t open on your PC with these errors, don’t despair. In most cases the problems stem from simple configuration fixes. With the right troubleshooting steps, you can get back on the field playing FIFA 23 matches in no time.
In this guide, we’ll explain what causes the unrecoverable error and secure boot violations. You’ll learn step-by-step methods to resolve these FIFA 23 crashing problems on Windows PCs. Let’s kick off!
What Triggers the FIFA 23 Unrecoverable Error?
The “unrecoverable error” in FIFA 23 typically appears as a crash to desktop when attempting to launch the game. It may display error text referencing a fatal DirectX failure from which the program cannot recover.
This FIFA 23 crash error stems from graphics driver conflicts. If the game cannot access DirectX resources properly due to outdated, broken, or incompatible drivers, the title fails to initialize and boot.
Since FIFA 23 utilizes cutting-edge rendering techniques for ultra-realistic gameplay, its demands on graphics power are intensive. Any weaknesses or bottlenecks in the driver software easily trigger the unrecoverable error screen.
Thankfully, repairing the issue involves simply updating your PC’s display drivers. The sections below cover this in detail for Nvidia and AMD graphics cards. With fresh optimized drivers installed, FIFA 23 boots smoothly.
Why Does the Secure Boot Violation Occur?
The “Secure Boot Violation” message in FIFA 23 for PC arises from the game’s anti-cheating protections conflicting with Windows security protocols.
When launching FIFA 23, the anti-cheat component Victory initiates a boot sequence verified by Windows Secure Boot. If any files are altered or tampered with, Secure Boot blocks execution and throws the violation.
This typically occurs from improper modifications to Windows or driver files, or installing unofficial game mods. The stock FIFA 23 codes are signed and authorized by Secure Boot, but any 3rd party changes get flagged.
You can resolve this by re-enabling Secure Boot properly in BIOS. We’ll provide step-by-step instructions later in the guide. First, let’s focus on fixing the unrecoverable error so FIFA 23 will run again.
Updating Nvidia Drivers to Fix Unrecoverable Error
If your gaming PC uses an Nvidia GeForce RTX or GTX graphics card, follow these steps to update drivers and resolve the FIFA 23 crash:
1. Download Latest Nvidia Game Ready Driver
- Go to Nvidia’s driver download site nvidia.com/drivers
- Enter your GPU model and choose Operating System
- Download the recommended Game Ready Driver for FIFA 23
2. Run Display Driver Uninstaller
- Download Guru3D’s DDU utility here
- Run DDU and select Clean and Restart
- This fully removes existing Nvidia drivers to prep for fresh install
3. Install the New Nvidia Driver
- When PC boots back into Windows, run the driver installer downloaded earlier
- Choose Custom/Advanced install option
- Tick “Clean Install” checkbox to fully replace old drivers
- Let the new optimized Nvidia driver install and restart when prompted
4. Launch FIFA 23
- With fresh stable graphics drivers in place, open Origin/Steam and launch FIFA 23
- The game should now boot successfully without the unrecoverable error!
This simple driver update eliminates the graphics conflicts causing FIFA 23 crashes. Be sure to regularly check for new Nvidia Game Ready Drivers to stay optimized. Now let’s cover fixing the error for AMD GPUs.
Installing Latest AMD Drivers to Stop Unrecoverable Error
If your PC uses an AMD Radeon graphics card, utilize AMD’s Adrenalin software to update drivers and fix FIFA 23 issues:
1. Download Latest AMD Adrenalin Drivers
- Go to AMD’s driver download page here
- Enter GPU details and OS to find the newest recommended drivers
- Download the package – look for “Recommended” status for stability
2. Open AMD Adrenalin Software
- Install and launch the latest Adrenalin app
- Go to Settings -> System -> Reset option
- Check “Factory Reset” box and confirm
- This wipes existing AMD drivers fully off the system
3. Do Custom Install of Downloaded Driver
- When the reset completes, exit Adrenalin
- Run the new AMD driver package download earlier
- Make sure Factory Reset box is ticked
- Click Install and express agreement
- Restart once the optimized AMD driver is applied
4. Run FIFA 23
- Launch Origin/Steam after reboot
- Try loading FIFA 23 again
- The fresh stable AMD graphics driver should resolve the crashing issue
Performing a complete driver wipe and reset fixes any residual leftover conflicts causing problems in FIFA 23. Keep AMD’s software updated going forward for best performance.
With updated drivers from Nvidia or AMD installed, FIFA 23 should boot normally without that frustrating unrecoverable error! Now let’s tackle the secure boot violation.
Resolving the Secure Boot Violation in FIFA 23
If FIFA 23 for PC displays the “Secure Boot Violation” on launch, utilize the following steps to fix it:
1. Access Your PC’s BIOS
- Reboot your computer
- As it powers on, press the BIOS hotkey (F2, F10, Delete etc) to enter UEFI BIOS
- This is the firmware settings screen before Windows boots
2. Find Secure Boot Menu
- Navigate to the Boot, Security or Authentication section of BIOS
- Look for the “Secure Boot” menu option and open it
3. Enable Secure Boot
- Make sure “Secure Boot” and any other related options are set to Enabled
- If prompted, confirm enabling Secure Boot
- This activates Windows anti-tampering protection
4. Save Changes and Exit BIOS
- Double check Secure Boot is enabled under its menu
- Press F10 to save changes and confirm exit
- The PC will reboot back into Windows 10/11
5. Launch FIFA 23
- Once signed back into Windows, open Origin/Steam
- Try running FIFA 23 again
- With Secure Boot properly enabled, the violation should be resolved
Re-enabling Secure Boot via BIOS clears the conflict with FIFA 23’s anti-cheat protection. The game now launches without issue.
Clean Booting Windows to Fix FIFA 23 Errors
As an additional troubleshooting step for FIFA 23 crashes or errors, perform a clean boot procedure in Windows:
1. Open MSConfig Utility
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run command box
- Type “msconfig” and click OK to launch tool
2. Check “Selective Startup”
- In the General tab of msconfig, tick “Selective Startup”
- Uncheck “Load Startup Items” below it
3. Disable Non-Microsoft Services
- Go to Services tab in msconfig
- Check “Hide All Microsoft Services” box
- Click Disable All underneath
- This stops all 3rd party services from running
4. Restart Computer
- Click the Restart button after applying selective startup
- The PC will reload into a clean boot state
5. Run FIFA 23
- When signed back in, launch Origin/Steam
- Try playing FIFA 23 without other processes running
- The clean boot isolates the game from potential conflicts
If FIFA works normally in clean boot mode, an application service conflict is likely causing the problems. Enable them one-by-one until you identify the problematic program.
Repairing FIFA 23 Game Files
Corrupted or missing game files can also generate errors. Validate FIFA 23 files through Origin or Steam to fix:
- Right click FIFA 23 in Library and choose Repair
- Wait for the verification process to complete
- Any damaged or missing files will get reacquired
- Right click FIFA 23 in Library and go to Properties
- Go to Local Files tab and click Verify Integrity
- Let Steam scan and restore corrupt game files
With files repaired fully, launch FIFA 23 again normally and see if errors persist. A proper install is critical for smooth operation without crashes.
Updating Windows and Drivers
Keep your operating system and hardware drivers updated to prevent conflicts with FIFA 23:
- Windows Update – Regularly install the latest Windows patches and fixes
- Graphics Drivers – Routinely update video card drivers from Nvidia or AMD
- Motherboard Drivers – Refresh chipset, BIOS and firmware drivers
- DirectX – Ensure you have the newest DirectX runtime libraries
Staying on top of Windows and driver maintenance prevents most game crashes and technical issues.
Adjusting CPU Priority in Task Manager
You can optimize FIFA 23 performance by boosting its process priority:
- Open Windows Task Manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC)
- Go to the Details tab
- Right click on fifa23.exe process
- Set priority to Above Normal or High
Higher CPU priority reduces lag, stuttering, and errors during matches. Revert priority back to normal after playing.
Game Mods May Cause Problems
Unofficial mods can trigger FIFA 23 errors and crashes even if they worked before. Try temporarily disabling mods like career edit files, skins, stadiums, etc. to isolate conflicts. Only utilize mods from trusted sources that are kept updated.
Restart Your Network Hardware
For online connectivity issues, power cycle routers, modems, access points and network switches to refresh connections. Unplug them for 60 seconds before reconnecting power. This clears any network conflicts impacting multiplayer.
Contact EA Support If Needed
For error issues persisting after trying all troubleshooting steps, reach out to EA Help for further assistance:
EA advisors can help diagnose and pinpoint stubborn crashing or errors not resolved by the fixes above.
Preventing Future FIFA 23 Errors
Once you’ve corrected the current error and boot issue, utilize these tips to avoid future problems running FIFA 23 for PC:
- Close other programs when playing FIFA 23 to maximize available RAM
- Disable Overclocks on your CPU, GPU or RAM before launching the game
- Adjust graphics settings to favor Performance over Quality presets
- Lower resolution from 4K to 1440p or 1080p to reduce strain if crashes persist
- Ensure PC meets minimum specs or ideally recommended requirements
- Set FPS cap to your display’s native refresh rate to prevent overworking GPU
- Keep your gaming PC in a cool room with sufficient ventilation
- Regularly use compressed air to dust out your computer to avoid overheating
- Defrag your hard drive to prevent slow read/write speeds impacting gameplay
- Don’t alt-tab or overload GPU/CPU with background apps during matches
Following performance best practices reduces FIFA 23 crashes going forward. But if errors re-emerge, just revisit the troubleshooting steps in this guide to get the game running smoothly again.
Frequently Asked Questions About FIFA 23 Errors
Here are answers to some commonly asked questions about troubleshooting FIFA 23 crashing issues:
Q: What causes the FIFA 23 unrecoverable error to happen?
A: Outdated or incompatible graphics drivers primarily trigger the unrecoverable error during launch. Keeping your GPU drivers updated fixes it.
Q: Why does my FIFA 23 crash with a DirectX error message?
A: DirectX conflicts also stem from stale graphics drivers. Download fresh drivers from Nvidia or AMD to resolve. Enable DirectX 11 legacy mode as well if the issue persists.
Q: How do I fix the FIFA 23 secure boot violation error when launching?
A: Enable Secure Boot again in your PC’s BIOS settings. This satisfies anti-cheat requirements so FIFA 23 boots properly.
Q: Should I reformat my PC to fix FIFA 23 errors?
A: Reformatting is typically unnecessary. The steps covered in this guide fix most FIFA 23 problems without needing a total Windows reinstallation.
Q: Which graphics settings impact FIFA 23 crashes and performance?
A: Lowering Resolution Quality, Anti-Aliasing, Shadows, Post-Processing Effects, and World Detail reduce crashes by easing GPU load.
Q: Why does FIFA 23 lag and stutter even though my PC exceeds requirements?
A: Update your graphics drivers, enable High CPU priority in Task Manager, close background apps, and disable GPU overclocks to boost performance.
Q: Are FIFA 23 errors happening because my PC is overheating?
A: Excess heat can definitely cause stability and crashing problems. Confirm CPU and GPU temperatures stay under 85C when gaming using hardware monitors.
Q: How can I tell if my graphics drivers are up to date for FIFA 23?
A: Use GeForce Experience for Nvidia cards or AMD Adrenalin Software for AMD cards to automatically check, download, and install the latest recommended drivers.
Battling FIFA 23 crashing issues can sap the fun from the beautiful game. Thankfully by methodically applying the troubleshooting fixes in this guide, you can get back on the pitch playing matches seamlessly.
Update your graphics drivers, adjust Windows settings, repair game files, and optimize your PC’s operating conditions to prevent further frustration. With a bit of diligence, you’ll be leading your club to glorious victories in FIFA 23 without technical woes ruining the experience.
Here’s to scoring incredible goals, hoisting trophies, and creating your own football legacy! Enjoy the matches!
This article offers suggestions to troubleshoot FIFA 23 errors and crashing issues based on community feedback and publicly documented fixes. However, results cannot be guaranteed, as individual PC configurations vary. Always carefully research any Windows or driver modifications, and consult EA/Origin support if problems continue. Follow all FIFA 23 system requirements. The content is for informational purposes only and not meant as official troubleshooting advice for the game publisher. Please apply any optimizations safely and at your own risk.
Also read: How to Change Your iPhone’s Bluetooth Name