State Bank of India (SBI) issues ATM-cum-debit cards to its account holders for cash withdrawals and payments. New SBI debit cards need to be activated before first use through net banking, the SBI branch, or by making an ATM transaction with the right pin. Activating the card enables service usage after it is issued.
Here are the main ways to activate an SBI ATM card:
Through SBI Net Banking
- Log into your SBI net banking account at www.onlinesbi.com.
- Select the “ATM Card Activation” option under the “e-Services” tab.
- Enter the ATM card number and credentials when prompted.
- Set a new ATM PIN when required. This activates the card.
- You can now use the activated card at ATMs and for merchant payments.
By Calling Phone Banking
- Call SBI phone banking.
- Select your preferred language.
- Enter your account number.
- Follow the prompts to activate your new ATM card with the interactive voice response system.
- Set an ATM PIN when asked. Card activation concludes.
Through SBI Branch
- Visit your nearest SBI branch.
- Submit a “SBI ATM Card Activation Request” form.
- Enter your card details including account number, name, contact information.
- The branch employee will assist in activating your new card.
- Visit the branch again after 2 working days to collect your activated card.
By Making First ATM Transaction
- Insert your new SBI ATM card into an SBI ATM.
- Enter the default ATM PIN sent by SBI via post/email.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete card activation and set a new ATM PIN.
- Your card will now be active for regular ATM and purchase use.
Through Missed Call Service
- Dial the SBI Quick Missed Call Number listed on the card mailer.
- Give a missed call and disconnect quickly when prompted.
- This will activate your card and set a default ATM PIN sent via SMS.
- Use the default PIN at an SBI ATM to change it to your preferred number.
Activating a new SBI debit card enables ATM and payment transactions. Follow the convenient activation steps outlined before initial usage.
Also read: How to Change your Google Assistant language
Frequently Asked Questions on SBI Card Activation:
Q: Is activation mandatory for new SBI cards?
A: Yes, activating new SBI ATM cards is required for security before first usage.
Q: How long does SBI card activation take?
A: Activation is instant through most methods except at a branch, which requires 2 days.
Q: Can I activate internationally issued SBI cards?
A: Yes, NRI account cards can be activated from abroad via global ATM, net banking, or phone banking.
Q: Is there a activation time limit?
A: SBI cards must be activated within 30 days of issue else they may get blocked.
Q: Can I activate through the SBI mobile app?
A: Currently, card activation is not possible directly via the YONO or SBI mobile apps.
Activating new SBI debit and ATM cards through available convenient methods is crucial before first usage to permit transactions. Follow the instructions provided to activate via net banking, phone banking, ATM, branch visit or missed call.