Google Assistant provides an intuitive voice-controlled experience to get information, complete tasks, control smart devices, and more using natural language commands. Activating Google Assistant on your compatible smart speakers, phones, cars, and other devices unlocks these useful hands-free capabilities.
Here are the main ways to activate Google Assistant:
On Google Home Smart Speakers
Google Home devices like the Nest Mini and Nest Hub Max have Google Assistant built-in and ready to activate.
- Plug in and set up your Google Home.
- Say “OK Google” or “Hey Google” to activate listening mode.
- Give a command like “What’s the weather today?” to begin using Assistant.
- Repeat “OK/Hey Google” to ask additional questions hands-free.
On Android Phones/Tablets
- Open the Google app on your Android device.
- Tap the microphone icon or say “OK Google” to activate.
- State your request or question you want Assistant’s help with.
- Tap the mic again or repeat the wake phrase to continue using.
- You can also assign a power button hold or gesture like squeezing the phone as dedicated activation triggers.
- Download the Google Assistant app from the App Store.
- Allow notifications to enable always-listening capabilities.
- Tap the mic icon or say “Hey Google” to activate Google Assistant.
- Ask questions, set reminders, listen to news headlines and more hands-free.
On Google Nest Displays
Google smart displays like the Nest Hub have visual interfaces optimized for Google Assistant.
- Set up your Nest Hub via the Google Home app.
- Say “OK Google” or “Hey Google” aloud to activate.
- Ask Google Assistant questions or make requests to see visual responses on the display screen.
On Android Auto/Google Maps
- Connect your phone to your car’s compatible Android Auto system.
- Tap the microphone icon on your dash display or say “OK Google.”
- Request driving-related assistance like navigation or controlling music.
- The Google Maps app also offers voice access to Google Assistant.
On Google Nest Audio Speakers
The dedicated Nest Audio smart speaker has built-in Google Assistant ready to go.
- Set up your speaker with the Google Home app.
- Say “Hey Google” to the device to activate.
- Ask questions, set reminders, control smart home devices and more.
On Google Home Hub
Google Home Hub (now Nest Hub) activates Assistant on its touch screen:
- Complete setup in the Google Home app.
- Tap the microphone icon on the display or say “OK/Hey Google.”
- State your request and see visual answers on the Home Hub screen.
On Wear OS Smartwatches
Bring Assistant to your wrist on Wear OS watches like Fossil and Mobvoi:
- Download the Google app on your watch through Play Store.
- Press and hold the power button or say “OK Google” to activate.
- Ask Google Assistant questions and manage reminders via voice commands.
Activating Google Assistant provides hands-free, conversational access to information and task completion using natural language on a growing array of compatible devices. Follow the simple steps outlined to start using it.
Also read: How to Activate an SBI ATM Card
Frequently Asked Questions about Activating Google Assistant:
Q: What devices work with Google Assistant?
A: It’s available on Google Home smart speakers, Android phones/tablets, iPhones, Nest devices, Android Auto, Wear OS watches, and more.
Q: What are the activation phrases?
A: “OK Google” and “Hey Google” are the standard wake words to activate listening. Custom phrases can be set on some devices.
Q: Does Google Assistant work offline?
A: No, an internet connection is required for functionality since processing occurs in the cloud.
Q: What actions can Google Assistant perform?
A: Popular commands include web search, scheduling reminders/events, controlling smart home devices, playing media, providing news, weather, translations and more.
Q: Is Google Assistant secure?
A: Google states voice data is encrypted and not linked to user accounts without explicit permission for privacy.
The intuitive convenience of Google Assistant is accessible by activating it on a wide range of smart devices with Google’s helpful AI ready to respond to your voice commands. Follow the activation steps outlined to get started.