Google Assistant offers support for a wide range of languages, allowing you to interact with it in your native tongue or learn a new one. Switching your Google Assistant’s language only takes a few simple settings adjustments.
Here are the main methods to change your Google Assistant language:
On Your Android Phone
- Open the Google Assistant app on your Android phone.
- Tap your profile icon in the top right corner.
- Select “Settings” from the menu.
- Tap “Assistant” and then “Languages.”
- Select your desired language.
- Tap “Save” to make the change.
This will switch Google Assistant on your Android phone to provide responses, understand commands, and more all in the chosen language.
On Google Home Speaker
- Open the Google Home app on your phone.
- Select your speaker from the device list.
- Tap the settings cog icon.
- Go to “Assistant” then tap “Languages.”
- Choose your preferred language.
- Hit “Save” to confirm the change.
Now when interacting with your Google Home speaker, Google Assistant will operate in the selected language.
- Go to myaccount.google.com and sign into your Google account.
- On the left menu, click “Data & Personalization.”
- Select “Assistant” then choose “Languages.”
- Click “Add additional language” and pick one from the list.
- Drag it above your current language to rank it higher.
- Hit “Save” at the bottom.
This will make your chosen language the default for Google Assistant across devices signed into your account.
On Display Smart Speakers
- Say “Hey Google, open Assistant settings.”
- Say “Assistant language.”
- When it lists available languages, say your desired language.
- Confirm the change when prompted.
Voice commands provide quick Google Assistant language switching on display devices like Nest Hub. Just speak the language wanted.
Per Device Settings
To set Google Assistant languages on specific devices differently:
- Open settings for that device in the Google Home app.
- Tap “Languages” under “Assistant.”
- Add or rank the desired language higher.
- Hit save to apply settings solely to that device.
This lets you customize language needs across individual Google Assistant devices as required.
Key Advantages of Changing Google Assistant Language:
- Use your native language for simpler interaction.
- Learn a new language by immersing yourself in it.
- Personalize language based on device location in your home.
- Tailor language to whoever uses each device most.
- Expand Google Assistant capabilities in other tongues.
Adjusting your Google Assistant’s language opens new possibilities for customized and intuitive use of its capabilities.
Also read: How to Change Servers on Mangabuddy
FAQs About Changing Google Assistant Language:
Q: Does changing language work across devices?
A: Changing it on your account will apply the language globally. Per device customization is also available.
Q: Will Google Assistant understand multiple languages?
A: It understands your set primary language only. You can add secondary languages for translation.
Q: Is every feature available in all languages?
A: Some newer languages may have limited functionality but most core features are supported.
Q: Can I switch languages hands-free?
A: Yes, voice commands let you change languages easily on Google Home and Smart Displays.
Q: Does changing language impact voice match?
A: No, Voice Match trains on your unique voice characteristics separately from chosen language.
Optimizing your Google Assistant’s language settings to best fit your needs allows more natural voice-controlled experiences. Use the step-by-step instructions provided to switch languages across devices or tailor them individually.