Your iPhone’s personal hotspot uses your device name by default when sharing its cellular data connection with other devices. Customizing your hotspot’s name allows choosing a title more easily identified when searching for available Wi-Fi networks. A personalized name also helps differentiate if multiple people are creating hotspots in the same vicinity.
Here are the steps to change your iPhone hotspot name:
From iPhone Settings
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Select “Personal Hotspot”.
- Tap the network name shown under “Hotspot” to edit it.
- Enter your desired custom hotspot name.
- Hit Save when complete to apply the new name.
This will change the name broadcast by your iPhone’s personal hotspot Wi-Fi network so any devices connecting to it will see your customized title.
During Hotspot Activation
- Go to Settings > Cellular > Personal Hotspot and enable it.
- On the “Personal Hotspot On” splash screen, tap the network name.
- Delete the current name and type your new preferred hotspot name.
- Tap Wi-Fi Password below and make sure a password is set.
- Click OK and your iPhone will activate the hotspot with the new name.
Connecting a device will then display and prompt for the password to join your newly renamed hotspot network.
Through Shortcuts Automation
- Open the Shortcuts app and create a new automation.
- Set it to run when the iPhone Personal Hotspot is turned on.
- Add a Rename Hotspot action using your custom name.
- Ensure Ask Before Running is disabled.
- Save the automation.
Now whenever you activate your hotspot, Shortcuts will automatically change the hotspot name to your pre-set custom string.
- Connect your iPhone to your Mac then launch Finder.
- Select your iPhone under Locations in the Finder sidebar.
- Go to General > Name and enter your new hotspot name.
- Click Done and it will sync to your iPhone hotspot.
Finder provides easy hotspot renaming for your iPhone without having to edit settings on the device itself.
Using Third-Party Apps
- Download a hotspot management app like NetSpot or Hotspot Shield.
- Connect your iPhone and select it from available devices.
- Open Settings for the iPhone connection.
- Change the Hotspot Name field to your custom name.
- Save changes and disconnect.
Alternative hotspot apps afford more control including batch renaming your hotspot when frequently changing it.
Key Advantages of Customizing Your Hotspot Name:
- Makes your network more recognizable.
- Can incorporate business names or slogans.
- Lets you get creative and fun with naming.
- Identifies when connecting multiple iPhones.
- Ensures connections go to your intended hotspot.
Personalizing your iPhone’s hotspot name takes just a few taps and makes sharing your mobile data more user-friendly. Change it regularly as desired to maintain custom titles.
Personalizing your iPhone’s hotspot name is an easy way to customize and identify your wireless network. By changing your hotspot SSID from the generic “iPhone” to a name of your choosing, you can ensure your mobile hotspot stands out from others when connecting devices. The ability to edit the name is useful in public places or when sharing your hotspot connection across multiple devices. Follow the simple steps outlined above to open Settings, choose Personal Hotspot, then enter your new preferred name. Keep names relatively short and memorable for easy recognition. You can revert back to the default iPhone name at any time. With just a few taps in Settings you can now connect to a wireless network that is uniquely yours, rather than a generic one. So whether you want your network name to be creative, funny or simple, adjusting your iPhone’s hotspot SSID is fast and straightforward.
Also read: How to Activate Google Assistant